Auntie’s Caprese BLTJuly 28, 2008 at 9:33 pm | Posted in Dinner, Travels | 7 Comments
This was my third vacation dinner in Thompson’s Point, VT made graciously by my auntie Helen. She is an avid reader of s.i.p and I am so happy I get to post one of her creations!
This was a fantastically delicious Italian take on an American classic. It was composed of ciabatta bread, a basil aioli, vermont maple bacon, balsamic marinated locally made mozzerella and fresh tomatoes! We made 5 whole sandwich loaves and after three hours of insanely laborious work, we were finally able to eat!
This recipe serves 20!
5 ciabatta loaves
4 lbs bacon
7 beefsteak tomatoes
2.5 lbs water packed buffalo mozzarella
2 cups mayonnaise
3 bunches of basil
Juice from 1 lemon
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar + 1/2 cup olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced and mashed
1 head romaine lettuce
1) Emulsify the olive oil and vinegar. Slice mozzerella into 1/2 inch slices and place into marinade.
2) Fry up the bacon and let it drain on paper towels.
3) Slice tomatoes, arrange on paper towels and sprinkle with kosher salt.
4) To make aioli, process mayonnaise, basil, garlic and lemon juice in processor until smooth.
5) Halve the bread lengthwise and scrape out some of its insides (pre-eating yum!!!)
6) To construct the sandwich: spread the aioli on both sides, shingle the tomatoes and cheese, add a nice layer of bacon and then lettuce!