Festive Potato SaladMarch 12, 2012 at 7:00 am | Posted in Appetizer | 2 Comments
Hey look! Another potato post! Yup, the folks at the Idaho Potato Commission challenged us to make another potato recipe, this time a potato salad. I pulled my inspiration from Auntie Helen! She used to make this back in the day for the Christmas Holiday Season. I think it would work well in any season actually!
The red Idaho potatoes are the perfect earthy background for all of these bright flavors. The fresh crunchy green beans, the nuttiness from the toasted pine nuts, and the balsamic dressing is offset nicely by the slightly sweet roasted red pepper slices. It’s a very unexpected potato salad. I think it’s a happy departure from the typical mayonnaise laden varieties that you often see in the summertime.
Go for the jump to see more details and the recipe!
POTATOES. YUM. I boiled them with the skin on and let them cool before very carefully cutting to maintain the pretty red skin.
I attempted to make balsamic glaze for the dressing. But ended up thinning it out with more balsamic in the end… so just go with the recipe!
Wegman’s definitely assisted with this meal. Gosh I love pine nuts. My love for them was definitely solidified in Florence where I go to try pine nut gelato and then proceeded to stop there daily for that treat for every day remaining in that beautiful city.
I will certainly make this again for a potluck or other meal that would allow me to make this advance. In advance dishes are priceless! It was a perfect dish to bring for lunch for three days this week actually.
4 Red Idaho Potatoes
1/4 cup Pine Nuts
12 oz Fresh Green Beans
1/4 cup Roasted Red Peppers in Oil
1 TBSP honey
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP olive oil
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1. Bring large pot of thoroughly salted water to a boil. Add red potatoes and cook for ~20 minutes until fork tender. Remove potatoes from water and allow to cool.
2. In a small sauté pan, toast pine nuts on low heat for 5 minutes, shaking the pan constantly.
3. Bring another large pot of thoroughly salted water to a boil. Add green beans and boil for about 3 to 4 minutes. Once tender, place into an iced water bath to stop the cooking.
4. Slice roasted red peppers into thin long strips.
5. Mix honey into balsamic vinegar and whisk in olive oil.
6. Once potatoes are cool to touch, cut in half lengthwise and slice into 1/4 inch pieces.
7. Toss potato slices, green beans, roasted red peppers in large bowl. Drizzle with balsamic dressing, scatter the pine nuts on top of the salad and season with 1.5 tsp of sea salt and 1 tsp of freshly ground black pepper.
Happily, again, I was compensated by the Idaho Potato Commission for this blog post.